Saturday, November 27, 2010

Back in the free world

So, I'm back and now that the initial euphoria of being home is wearing off, I realize I have to deal with some deeper issues. Do I want to stay in Syria? Can I handle it? I am going to regret moving back to Canada when things get mundane? I just watched a movie last night with Amber and Zaak called "Cairo Time" with Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Siddig, it showed some of the cultural differences that I've been experiencing. One example is how the main character ( a blonde women in her 40's) walks around Cairo and gets stared at by men of all ages, as well as going in to an only men cafe. It's difficult for me to express my challenges in Syria, so it was interesting to see it expressed in a film. A bit of humor was when Patricia goes for a boat ride on the nile, and Alexander asks why she looks uncomfortable and she tells him that she doesn't swim. He then says "doesn't everyone have a swimming pool in their back yard" and she says "don't you have 4 wives". Stereotypes go both ways...

1 comment:

  1. If you were still in Montreal the euphoria would still exist...I'm just saying! LOL That's for Amber! hahahahahahaha

    Sounds like an interesting movie. I'll have to rent it. I think going back for another 6 months is probably a good idea. You'll be able to say that you've given it a fair shot and not have any regrets! Besides, maybe you'll decide to stay afterall..then I'll be sad! :/

    ReplyDelete